By Babajide Okeowo
Calm appears to have returned to Magodo Phase 2 Estate, Lagos, after security agents and some suspected land grabbers invaded the community yesterday.
The armed security operatives reportedly stormed the estate to execute a Supreme Court judgment, which mandated Lagos State government to give back 549 plots to the original owners of the area, the Adeyiga family.
Hundreds of residents, business owners and visitors were stranded in the early hours of the day, owing to the development.
The two gates located in the Shangisha area were locked.
The Nation learnt that the operatives were led by a Deputy Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Kotangora.
Chairman of Magodo Residents Association Banjo Osinnubi, told The Nation that the estate gates were closed by the association because suspected land grabbers led by policemen invaded the estate to claim possession of property there.
He explained that the state government had intervened in the matter and residents had been promised that such an incident would not happen again.
Over 300 houses were marked with different inscriptions, notifying the owners of an impending takeover by the Adeyiga family. The Supreme Court decision, delivered on February 10, 2012 mandated Lagos State government to give back 549 plots to the original landowners of the area before it was acquired over 38 years ago.
Some landlords, who spoke to The Nation, said they bought their land from Lagos State government and were given certificates of occupancy, adding that they were not aware of any litigation on the land when they bought it.
Recall that the state government and members of the Shangisha Landlords Association have been engaged in a legal battle since 1982. The worried residents have been told that the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Moyosore Onigbanjo, will soon issue a statement on the matter.