A section of the National Assembly was engulfed in fire on Thursday, The Matrix has gathered.
The news of the fire outbreak was disclosed in a statement by the spokesperson of the parliament building, Agada Rawlings Emmanuel who noted that the fire was triggered by an electrical fault.
Read Also: FCT Arrests 480 Suspected Criminals
“There was a fire incident this evening in one of the Jenitors, located on the 2nd floor, Room 227 in the new-wing, of the House of Representatives, suspected to have resulted from an electrical fault which was noticed by one of the Staff to the Clerk, House of Representatives, who promptly alerted the Federal Fire Service Unit stationed in the National Assembly Complex,” the statement said.
“Accordingly, the fire has been put out with the assistance of staff on duty who immediately broke into the affected office and effectively deployed Stationed fire extinguishers on the floor before the arrival of the fire service officer.
“Consequently, the combined prompt efforts curtailed the fire to the affected office only and power supply to the wing was put off to enable a full assessment and investigations into the incident.
“It is expected that, after due assessment by the fire service and the Estate and works directorates, Normalcy in the New Wings, housing all principal officers of the House of Representatives and Honourable members offices will be restored immediately.
“Management wishes to commend the prompt response/ actions by the first responders particularly, National Assembly staff and the Fire Service Unit in helping to curtain the fire outbreak.”